Random Solitary Thoughts

Monday, October 30, 2006

When footsteps stop...

So I have not been updating this space for a while now. This was due to my new job, which leaves me ample time, but having not settled into routine, I constantly find myself slacking off whenever I think I should blog. Anyway, a week into my new job, in a new industry, which a different job scope, both of which are relatively new to me, I took a roadtrip home. Bad idea.

As a blogger of potential reputation, I have to live up to times, which includes the trend of camwhoring. Or just posting loads of picures, which is exactly what I intend to do to this post. Finally, my camera phone is in use.

So on the fateful Saturday of the long weekend, this is what happened.

The jam was so friggin bad, it took us 5 hours to get to Ipoh. Stopped there for an hour for lunch and ipoh white coffee! Yea! Bunny, if you're reading this, you absolutely MUST do a piece on Ipoh White Coffee! The original version. We got to Penang by 6.30pm. Left Selangor at 8.30am. Peace!

So arriving home, we (me and mah siblings, who shall henceforth be known as the sibs) were greeted by my enthusiastic dog (sorry only baby pics available and the only grownup pic of his wasn't on his good side) and my enthusiastic parents. I haven't seen them for a while now.

With just an hour before dinner, I decided to follow my dad while he walked the dog. We talked about my new job, about his job, about relatives, sibs, my dog, my dog peeing and crapping all over, bout my mother, about politics, about life. It was one of the few times we had to talk as men. As friends. As father and son. And I cherish moments like these.

So after dinner, me and one of my sibs went DVD hunting. Cheap DVD's in Penang! RM 4 for a bootleg DVD! Beat that price you cheap money-hungry pirates of KL!!! Call it daylight piracy on piracy! I am so NOT buying DVDs in KL if I can help it!

With no plans for the night, me and my sibs watched a movie. Something we all hardly have the time to do together, even tho we are all residing in KL. Maybe we were just too preoccupied with our busy lives. Or not.

The next few days heralded meetups with some old friends, and a visit to my favourite Hokkien Mee stall. Here in KL people call it Prawn Mee. Them cantonese have got everything mixed up! To live up to the camwhoring bloggers' reputation, here is an unsavoury picture. Taken hurriedly before I almost forgot and started eating. You can see how I have already poured my sambal into the noodles.


Later that day, I met up with two old friends whom I have not seen since the last time I've seen them, which is not very recent. I think. And for some reason, we decided to take a walk in a park, Youth Park to be exact. This is one park that has been instrumental in my demented and sometimes erratic upbringing. The last time I remember it, it was run down and well, not very changed since I remembered it the last time I remember it before I saw it again and remembered it that time. Or something like that. But how it has changed!


Look ma! Mini waterfall-pond thinghy!!! This was not there before. I swear. Greeted me when I stepped into the park. Damn... what have I been missing? It even has real fish!!!


And they're still miraculously ALIVE!!!


A fountain! Like duh! Since when did the state hire artsy peeps to do their landscaping?

And this, takes the cake! When I was still young and galavanting in the park, we had this little pseudo concrete pond-stream thinghy with dirty water and all and we'd play in it because we were young and unhygienic and our parents didn't really care if we inhaled worms or anything coz back then whatever doesn't kill you can only make you stronger. Yeah, right!


Who needs to travel 400km to Sunway to pay to play, when you can do the same for FREE!!! How cool is that? Kids have it all these days.


Poser pic. I know, I just couldn't resist the camwhoring!

And as all holidays go, an end will come, and come it did. Soon, we had to pack up to go home before the crazy 10 hour jams hit us again. It was a fun relaxing time back home, with no schedule, no race against time. And I love the changes they made to the island. With all that development, they have somehow managed to capture the nostalgic feeling of yesteryears.

Sometimes the best place to go for a holiday is home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home