Random Solitary Thoughts

Friday, December 27, 2002

Ahhh.. wanted to blog yesterday but work caught up with solitary life of the Multipurpose Man. Therefore, on and cool and lazy Saturday morning, Kalamari, his humble outer identity, decides to fill in his blog with stories from the land of good food... Penang Island! (Applause!)

But first off, I would like to thank Chucklingtong for the birthday e-card, and Dan for the thank you card! Thanks people!

It all started on a cold and hot Saturday morning. The night before had presented itself in a Free viewing of LOTR, in which I won a t-shirt by impersonating Gollum. So it wasn't a surprise that I did not have enough sleep. Still, after some last minute packing, I decided to push off to Kotak's house to pick her up for breakfast. After the hearty breakfast, we went to pick Dan up and soon the three of us were on our way to Penang!

The rest of the journey will not be related much here, as Dan has included the synopsis of our trip already. So I now skip the redundant details and warp into the moment when I stepped into the house.

Arriving in at my new home in Penang (my family just moved 7 months ago), I was greeted by my parents who were excited to meet Kotak again. After introducing Dan, we unloaded the bags and rested a while before heading out for dinner at a western place in Mount Eskine. I paid for the dinner, much to the surprise of my mother. Judging from her expression, she was happy, and I'm glad that after 22 years, I'm finally able to buy my family a meal with my own hard-earned cash. Oh yes... it was a touching moment for me...

That night, Aewis dropped by with some Kuih Talam (which I haven't tasted in years) and we sat and chatted till the wee hours of the morning. It was good reminiscing old times. Needless to say, we were tired and retired to bed with no difficulty.

The morning greeted us with fresh Prawn Noodles, a specialty in Penang, courtesy of my parents who, being good hosts, took the liberty of buying the Penang famous Prawn Noodles from the market early in the morning. My parents always make an effort to treat their guests well, and I'm proud of them in that sense. After the hearty breakfast, our itinerary was mapped out. A simple trip to the new mall in town (actually it isn't that new, but due to my absence in Penang, it seemed new) followed by a good Asam Laksa lunch and Penang famous Chendol. Was chatting with Dan all the way about Magic:The Gathering and Pokemon, the card game. This was the beginning of my conversion from Magic, to Pokemon.

Later that afternoon, I bought my first Pokemon starter deck, thanks to Dan's impressive presentation of the game, and the discounted price on the cards. A later trial game with my brother proved that Pokemon is indeed an interesting card game. After a fair amount of shopping, and walking, we finally headed home. Dan bought me a bottle of aftershave for my birthday, thanks Dan! No more cuts and pimples for me! Woo hoo!!!

Kotak's parents finally reached Penang later that evening, and plans for dinner were arranged. For some weird reason, no one really mentioned anything about having dinner together (my parents and Kotak's parents), but everyone assumed that we were having dinner together. So it came to be, that Kotak and me went to pick up her parents from the hotel and headed off towards the restaurant. The meeting was awkward, as both Kotak and my parents have not met before. But things began to calm down and everyone soon warmed up to the good food. My parents were in a good mood the whole night through. For what reasons? I can only hope to guess...

That night, I finally had the chance to talk to my parents. We had a nice chat and catch up with happenings. Finally decided to get a new car next year. Decided that I will be moving to Subang in a couple of months to take care of the place there. After a lengthy discussion about taxes and whatnot's with me parents, I went off to talk to my siblings. Of course I had to give endless advice to my sister and brother, and but the feeling of being reunited with my siblings was interesting. I felt that after I started working, things changed a lot back home. The things I talked to my parents about, the advice I give to my siblings. Is this what growing up means? I guess it's true that distance makes the heart grow fonder, for I feel that I've grown closer to my family since I've been living away from home. Sigh.... I'm definitely going home as often as work permits...

The next few days were basically more touring and food hunting and shopping. All in all, my trip to Penang this time, brings about memories and the feeling of togetherness as a family. My brother sacrificed a trip to Genting with his friends in order to spend time with us. I felt bad, not being able to spend more time with him, but I did promise him a trip to the cybercafe when I return home for Chinese New Year. My sister on the other hand, is still her usual self, tho a bit more matured than last I saw her. My brother has matured a lot... being the elder sibling in the family now that I'm not at home. Yes... it's good to be home...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home